As we gear up for our return to the ice in 2020 we are in the process of updating our ADA Access plan and following board approval will post our full updated version in the coming weeks.
Art Shanty Projects values artists, art in all communities and the importance of interaction between the two. It is this value system which calls for creation of a program that is, indeed, accessible to all. An organization dedicated to creating art in public spaces must ensure experiences are available to every member of public. Increased access is an integral part of a strategy to grow audiences and build support with the intention of providing positive benefits for the community.
With consultation from an outside professional, the organizational Access Policy was reviewed and improved in 2015 for implementation in 2016. An access consultant provided training for artists, staff, board and volunteers on both compliance and etiquette. Formal evaluations captured information on the quality of efforts to inform an iterative learning process for future programming. Accessibility is an integral part of a strategy to grow audiences and build support with the intention of providing positive benefits for the community. Endeavors to increase program access since 2016 include specific actions such as:
- Continued commitment to free access as a means of lowering barriers and enticing audiences to participate in an unusual arts experience
- Plowed pathways on the ice to ensure a cleared passages to/around shanties and performances
- Artist-designed kick sleds, and extra volunteers for on-ice mobility assistance
- Reserved parking areas to accommodate access permitted vehicles
- Allocation of accessible restrooms
- Designated Audio Described and Sign Language guided tours dates with prominent advertisements to reach target audiences
- Guides with descriptions of shanties and performances, crediting all artists involved and making these guides available in multiple formats
- Etiquette and customer service training board, staff, artists, and volunteers with proper etiquette to ensure a welcoming atmosphere for all community members
Art Shanty Projects strives to address inclusiveness through greater outreach by implementing and evaluating these actions for continued to access improvement.