Art Shanty Projects is a joyful expression of public art, and we have a commitment to prioritize public health in our operations. In the spirit of abundant caution and love for our community, we are offering an EXTERIOR-ONLY EXPERIENCE for visitors this year.
Festival precautions include:
- All projects can be engaged with from the outside or in the open air (no going inside tiny enclosed shanty spaces this year)
- We’re putting more space between projects so you can keep your distance from others
- Hot food and beverage vendors will be on shore daily, but no food or drink is allowed in the village (so visitors can more easily keep masks on)
- All staff members and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated (or show recent negative test result); Staff members test weekly. We are following MDH guidelines for isolation and quarantine.
- We will have hand sanitizer stations near food & beverage, and within the village
- We will provide free masks to anyone who wants one
What we ask of the public:
- Keep safe & warm – we strongly encourage everyone to wear a mask at our event
- Respect artists’ personal space
- Please stay home if you don’t feel well or if you’ve recently been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID. Follow MDH guidelines for isolation/quarantine.
- Get tested regularly if you are able
- Be kind to one another, think about the impact of your actions
How did we arrive at these decisions?
Last winter we took a pause to public programming and instead began to imagine how we could return to the ice in the safest way possible, considering public health, evolving recommendations from health experts, inclusivity, and our own capacity to manage the program. Staff members hosted a design charrette – a structured brainstorm session – engaging with artists for input and feedback on program adaptations. Through this, we all agreed that sharing air with strangers was not an option, and we adjusted the shanty design requirements and program format to reflect our care for the health of the community.
What about the mask and vaccine mandates?
The City of Minneapolis has a mask mandate in effect beginning Thursday, January 6.
Being an outdoor event, this mandate does not affect us, however, we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE everyone in the shanty village to stay safe & warm and wear a mask. This will help keep you, our shanty community, and the public safe. It’s a respectful act towards our artists, and helps ensure we can stay open while many events are having to pause at this time.
Proof of vaccination or a negative test result will be required at indoor eating and drinking establishments starting January 19. Likewise, this does not directly impact the Art Shanty Projects program.
Please be prepared to mask up if you’re venturing to neighborhood businesses before or after your visit to Art Shanties. If you plan to go to an eating or drinking establishment, be prepared to show proof of vaccination (paper card, photo, or on an app) or a negative test result (from a lab within the past 72 hours).
We hope to see you there!