Art Shanty Projects is a joyful expression of public art, and we have a commitment to prioritize public health in our operations. In the spirit of abundant caution and love for our community, we are offering an EXTERIOR-ONLY EXPERIENCE for visitors again this year.
Festival precautions include:
- All projects can be engaged with from the outside or in the open air (no going inside tiny enclosed shanty spaces this year)
- We will have hand sanitizer stations near food & beverage, and within the village
- All staff members and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated. Staff members test weekly. We are following MDH guidelines for isolation and quarantine.
What we ask of the public:
- Be kind to one another, think about the impact of your actions.
- Respect the personal space of artists, staff, volunteers, and fellow visitors.
- Masks are safe & warm – we welcome and encourage mask-wearing at our event.
- Please stay home if you don’t feel well or if you’ve recently been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID. Follow MDH guidelines for isolation/quarantine.
- Get tested regularly if you are able!
How did we arrive at these decisions?
With encouragement from our artists, staff, and volunteers we are once again presenting an exterior-only, adapted festival format this year. Our protocols are in place to support the most vulnerable people in our community — including immunocompromised artists and visitors.
With the new design directive to prevent sharing air amongst artists and visitors last year, shanties took new shapes and forms and the festival included more performers than ever before. Artistic Director Erin Lavelle reflects “Artists had great success with the exterior-only festival in 2022, carrying our mission and aesthetic forward with innovation and whimsical creativity, expanding the notion of what a shanty project can be!” She continues, “Pandemic adaptations will continue this year with consultation from our shanty community – inclusive of artists, performers, staff, board, and visitors.”
We hope to see you there!